A Durban man has been arrested for allegedly kidnapping his 11-year-old son and holding him hostage for eight days, KwaZulu-Natal police said on Sunday, News24 reports. According to the report, the 39-year-old man allegedly went to Bomvini in Ngwelezane last week Friday looking for his former girlfriend. When he couldn't find her, he forced his way into her house carrying a container of petrol and threatening to burn the house down. Then he kidnapped the son who was staying with the aunt and ran away. He fled the scene with the boy at around 20:30.
He was arrested in Umlazi's V Section on Saturday following tip-off as to his whereabouts, said Major Shooz Magudulela. The child was reunited with his mother. He was not harmed. The incident happened in South Africa.
The man is expected to appear in the Empangeni Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.