Thursday, 14 July 2016

7-Year-Old Boy Arrested For Accidentally Shooting 12-Year-Old Boy Dead, Regains Freedom After Months In Detention

Seven-year-old boy, Chibuike Miracle Oramalu, who was detained over an alleged murder in Enugu, has been released on Wednesday evening.  Chibuike,  a primary two pupil of a nursery and primary school, had been detained since May 30, after accidentally firing a gun that killed 12-year-old boy, Oluebube Boniface. The incident occurred on May 29, in the Independence Layout area of Enugu. The gun belonged to Mr. Edwin Oforma, who employed Chibuike’s mother as a cleaner and housekeeper in his house.

Chibuike accidentally fired the shot after discovering the gun in Oforma’s room while making the bed, as he was instructed by Chukwunanu, Oforma’s son.  Chibuike’s mother, Mrs Nwakaego Oramalu, and her lawyer, Olu Omotayo, of the Civil Rights Realisation and Advancement Network, had raised the alarm over the little boy’s continued detention.

In a petition to the Inspector General of Police, Omotayo demanded Chibuike’s release, describing the boy’s detention as “a brutal attack on the rights of the child in Nigeria” and “a very dangerous dimension to rights violations by the Nigeria Police”.

Following the development, the Commissioner of Police, Enugu State,Emmanuel Ojukwu, on Tuesday said the boy was not detained.  Rather, according to Ojukwu, Chibuike was in ‘protective custody’.

Although the police chief had said that the boy would be released, his mother, Nwakaego, was not able to take him home on Tuesday.  She was reportedly told that, as a woman, she could not take a ‘suspect’ on bail. 

However, the boy has at last been released to his mother on Wednesday evening.

Omotayo, who confirmed the development, however, noted that Chibuike’s mother, Nwakaego, and her children are now homeless, having lost her job as house keeper and cleaner in Oforma’s residence, where she was given accommodation.

He appealed to public spirited Nigerians to come to the aid of the woman, as well as the family of the late Oluebube, who was accidentally killed by Chibuike.

Omotayo explained that Oluebube’s father, Boniface, a tricycle rider, was not able to provide the sum of N60,000 demanded by the police for autopsy on his late son’s corpse, before it could be released for burial.

1 comment:

  1. Thank God he's free at last


I’m glad you visited Alabekee’s blog. I love to read your opinion. Please spare me few minutes of your valuable time and drop a comment because it will motivate me to blog better.

DISCLAIMER: Please note that apart from, Alabekee does not own any other blog/website. Also bear in mind that comments on this blog are not posted by Alabekee. Alabekee’s blog readers are totally responsible for the comments they post on

Contact me for Inquiries/Tip-offs – or Call 08060623254/09051251337

Follow me on Twitter-@AlabekeeOla
Instagram - alabekeesblog
Facebook - Alabekee Ola

Thanks so much for being part of Alabekee’s blog!