Thirty-three people were hospitalized for a possible overdose on K2, a type of synthetic marijuana, in Brooklyn on Tuesday morning. Witnesses reported seeing more than a dozen people passing out, vomiting, urinating and twitching in the middle of the street around 9.30am in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood. They reportedly reacted to the drug almost simultaneously near Broadway and Myrtle Ave, an intersection that has become known as 'ground zero' for K2 addicts in the city.
'It was a horrible scene,' resident Brian Arthur told the New York Daily News. 'Some of them were motionless. This is nothing you'd want your kids to see.'
Arthur, 38, filmed the incredible scene and posted it on his Facebook, showing people who couldn't stand up straight and had to be held up by officers as they waited for a stretcher.
'This is no joke over here right now, this is tragic,' Arthur says as his camera moves from one passed-out New Yorker to the next. 'This is crazy. Tell your kids, tell your family, stay off of that man.'
Arthur said it was mostly young, teenage boys who he saw overdosing in the street.