Copy

Thursday, 7 September 2017

Cholera Outbreak: 23 Deaths, 530 Suspected Cases Recorded In Borno

Cholera outbreak has claimed no fewer than 23 deaths and 530 suspected cases in Borno, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said on Thursday. The UN agency added in a statement that a cholera outbreak was first reported by the state’s Ministry of Health, adding that the first case was recorded on Aug. 16, 2017.

“Over 530 suspected cases had been registered as of Sept. 5, 2017, including 23 deaths (4.3 per cent fatality rate).

“The outbreak is mainly in Muna Garage, a camp hosting at least 20,000 internally displaced persons on the outskirts of the state capital, Maiduguri.

“Although most cases have been identified in Muna Garage camp, others have been identified in Custom House, Ruwan Zafi and Bolori II, all camps located near Muna Garage.

“There have also been reports of a suspected cholera outbreak in Monguno and Dikwa Local Government Areas, northeast and east of Maiduguri, respectively,” OCHA said.